Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spring also means mowing...

The weather outside is perfect. Perfect for a baseball game! Perfect to mow the lawn too… )=
Last year our lawn mower died and we started using Grandma’s back and forth between her house and ours. That was a pain. We could have had ours fixed but I don’t drive stick shift so I was at the mercy of when someone was home to drive the truck… Not simple… Things got worse when I mowed over something and killed Grandma’s lawn mower. No use trying to mow with that one again… the hole in the oil tank was obvious… So back to square one… We need a lawn mower. Bruce decided to try something new. We had one of those really old push mowers, that don’t need gas or anything except man power… The blades needed sharpened… I’m REALLY glad about that because James said Bethany and he have one of those and he really wants another one!!!
Anyway… the electric lawn mower we bought dies too quick to get Grandma’s lawn mowed completely and the grass can’t be too high or it’s even more complicated to use it. On the plus side, I had no trouble starting that one! We plugged it in last week-end and were going to mow the lawn over the week-end BUT we let the grass get too high and it is awful! SO in my frustration with not being able to finish yesterday (2nd day) I texted Bruce that we HAD to get a new mower… a REAL one… He texted back that we’d get one this coming week-end but that’s not going to work either because the grass is already too tall to get cut without too much trouble and what if it starts raining again!? So I decided I’d look into the situation.
Truth is, Bruce picked the past 4 lawn mowers we have bought and I have had trouble starting all 4 of them. I guess I should not complain as it got me off the hook for mowing but there is nothing more aggravating to me than having to wait for someone to do something I see needs done. Much easier to do it myself… It’s not that I lack patience but patience only lasts so long…
I even contemplated a riding mower… our lawn would not need it but Grandma’s would… And it would no longer be a chore for the kids to mow her lawn… they would probably fight over who gets to next time… But I wasn’t ready to spend $1,000 or more on a mower… If Grandma wants a riding mower, she can get that herself but I don’t think she’d like to as she already bought one once and we don’t know where it is right now.
So when I walked into the store, I said : “I need something simple, no frills, that I can start myself”. The salesman showed me some of their different models and let me try them. I was in and out of there in less than 30 minutes. I told him I was driving a Cyrrus and asked if it would fit so he asked that they get it out of the box, remaining doubtful that I would take it home myself but I did! They collapsed it and put it on the back seat without too much trouble… it was a tight squeeze getting in but it made it and so I came home with a new lawn mower! If Bruce had seen my face he most likely would have laughed and said “Yep… that’s my wife… she’s stubborn as a mule… and when she gets the idea that something must get done… better step out of her way… it will get done…” (=
Even so, I was concerned with being able to get it out but I managed except for dropping part of it on my right foot. That wasn’t pleasant. They had collapsed it and I wasn’t sure I’d know how to put it back together. Bruce is working a shut-down this week, that means extra long hours and Jon was stuck with baseball practice till 8pm. I decided to be ‘brave’… I pulled out the directions and did what they said to and there was the lawn mower back together again. The bottle of oils was poured in the oil tank and I went to the gas station to fill up the gas container, filled up the lawn mower and started it without any trouble. It took 30 minutes to get the lawn mowed. I was just finishing when the kids got back from practice. Perfect… Bruce came home shortly after that and said he’d figured on spending more than I did on the mower, so I was good there too…
I still need to get the mower to Grandma’s though… Hopefully they will raise the level so it’s not as low as it is now and we will be able to cut her grass even though it is high…

No comments: