Monday, May 4, 2009

It's Not Spring without a Spring Concert

Since Melanie graduated from high School, it has not been the same for us as we had become accustomed to attend the school's Spring concert every year.
The other boys never showed an interest in music other than listening to it so we got out of the habit in 11 years.
Last year Michael was approached about playing a band instrument and since Bruce played the saxophone in High School and we were looking forward to it but Mr. Urbani had too many saxophones already and wanted Michael to pick up another instrument, one Michael didn't seem to be interested in at all.
We inquired about renting one and getting Michael 'catch-up' lessons during the summer but he changed his mind and decided to join the choir.
In hindsight it was a much better choice for him. He was able to play football and since he is already taking Algebra, he has more time to study.
So... Yesterday we attended Michael’s Spring Concert. It was the first time we had had the opportunity to hear him sing with the choir. He didn't seem too enthused however and we soon learned he worried his brothers would poke fun at him for being in the choir!

We took both our cameras instead of taking the camcorder. These can upload easier but the quality on mine is very low and something must have happened as it would only record 15 seconds segments. Not practical when trying to record a complete song…
Luckily Bruce was able to figure his out fast and we do have complete recordings including the voices of rude people behind us who kept giggling and going through their picture album and talking at the same time. My dirty looks did nothing to stop them either so…

The band was pretty good too... Bruce even commented on the high note that went off without a glitch. And the second piece they played gave me goose bumps: “You’ll Never Walk Alone”… I wish I had recorded that too… By the last notes my eyes were watering…

“Sing Out with Praise” is the song the 7th grade choir sang at a State contest and earned them a Gold place. They were missing some boys and even though they sounded good it was not my favorite piece of the concert. I really enjoyed “Go Down Moses”. They really sounded good with that one, in spite of the lack of male voices.


In October last year, the choir president, Bethany Pettiford, died either while playing with friends or shortly thereafter. We were visiting Melanie and getting eye exams that week-end or Michael would have been at the tennis courts with her and a bunch of other kids when it happened. It left a big mark on him so I recorded the 8th grade choir singing the song they sang at the funeral. Michael attended it but didn't sing since he is in 7th grade.


I guess we can go to the Spring Concerts whether or not we have kids singing in them. It shows support for the community. We're learning...

You may also have noticed a change in the Page heading. Chez Regine, that means, here, right now, and I don't live in Liege any more even though it will always a place in my heart. Maybe I could revisit the purpose of this blog... these are my adventures as an emigrant Belgian in the USA. My story is as unique as that of the emigrants who came in the 19th century, before or after.
So, yes, I will reminisce but this is where I have made my adult life.
So "Chez Regine" is wherever I am now, not where I was years ago...

No comments: