Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My new little turtle

Well, today Bruce went to work only to find out he was on vacation. It's not the first time he's done that and he gets razzed about it every time.
So he came home and we went to the Dorm to have breakfast.
Not his day... he had to settle for a Hillbilly omelet without green peppers but they gave him a 10c discount... Then we went to the jeweler's in Logansport as he had wanted to trade the broken jewelry I had been keeping in my jewelry box along with the gold he came home from Los Angeles with: old teeth with gold fillings and gawdy rings he found at Stanley's, oh and a chain too.
Never dreamed we'd get $100 out of the whole thing...
How wrong I was!
He was given a check for $827!
The real ugly ring was worth about $250 in gold alone, while the chain brought in about $360!
The jeweler had to weigh the teeth separately because two of them barely had gold on them and those 2 still had the roots so weighed more in teeth than in gold...
If you consider maybe $50 for what I brought in broken stuff... I guess the teeth were worth their weight in gold.
We browsed around the store as Bruce had always wanted a nice diamond ring and the prices were always ridiculously high. No different this time... The ring the lady showed him was worth $1499... A little more than we had so he put it back.
The jeweler was taking care of someone else but he asked if Bruce had found something and when he heard the reply he suggested a deal...
SO... For $827, Bruce will be getting that pretty diamond ring (size 11) and I got to have that pretty little crystal turtle I had been eyeing for so long...
When we got home we scavenged some more... The aluminum cans only brought in $12 but Bruce is lining up some more possibilities with other pieces of jewelry... I am sure glad he brought that stuff home, although I can't help wondering too... there was a nice piece of jade in one ring and the other one had a huge topaze and 2 diamonds, so, the jeweler made a deal too.
It's ok. We're happy and he's happy. If he made some bucks, that's what he's in business for and we weren't benefitting from having those items at the house anyway, so, all is well that ends well, for everyone.
On the picture: The turtle is not part of the paperweight... That came from Belgium and belonged to my grandmother and has great sentimental value for me.

No comments: